Strive Masiyiwa is a business magnate from Zimbabwe. A philanthropist, and entrepreneur. He is also the CEO and creator of Econet Wireless, a Pan-African mobile communication firm operating in over 27 countries including the United States, United Kingdom, and China. His business interests cut across hospitality, renewable energy, media, and finance. As of July 2022, according to Forbes, Strive is worth about $1.5 billion. Below are some salient points that are testament to his entrepreneurial thumbprint worthy of mention.
- Strive Masiyiwa overcame lengthy government resistance to create the mobile phone network Econet Wireless Zimbabwe in his native nation of Zimbabwe in 1998.
- He controls more than half of Econet Wireless Zimbabwe, a subsidiary of his bigger Econet Group.
- Masiyiwa also controls slightly over 50% of the private company Liquid Telecom, that provides fibre optic and satellite services to telecom companies across the African continent.
- His other holdings include shares in mobile phone networks in Burundi and Lesotho, as well as investments in African fintech and power distribution companies.
- He and his wife Tsitsi started the Higher Life Foundation, which helps orphaned and impoverished children in Zimbabwe, South Africa, Burundi, and Lesotho.